Part II Vocabulary and Structure
Directions: In this part there are forty incomplete sentences. Each sentence
is followed by four choices. Choose the one that best completes the sentence and
then mark your answer on the Answer Sheet.
21. The teacher the students on a tour through the art museum.
A. made B. indicated C. forced D. took
22. Tom’s parents died when he was a child, so he was by his relatives.
A. grown up B. brought up C. raised D. fed up
23. Here is my card. Let’s keep in .
A. touch B. relation C. connection D. friendship
24. So far there is no proof people from other planets do exist.
A. which B. how C. what D. that
25. The newspapers reported yesterday several on the boundaries of these two
A. incidents B. happenings C. events D. accidents
26. We’ve worked out the plan and now we must put it into .
A. fact B. reality C. practice D. deed
27. He didn’t and so he failed the examination.
A. work enough hard B. hard work enough C. hard enough work D. work hard
28. Not until Mr. Smith came to China what kind of country she is.
A. he knew B. he didn’t know C. did he know D. he couldn’t know
29. Scientists say it may be ten years this medicine was put to use.
A. since B. before C. after D. when
30. In some countries, is called “equality” does not really mean equal rights
for all people.
A. that B. what C. which D. how
31. We didn’t know his telephone number, otherwise we him.
A. would telephone B. would have telephone
C. had telephoned D. must have telephoned
32. We’ve missed the last bus, I’m afraid we have no but to take a taxi.
A. way B. possibility C. choice D. selection
33. Luckily, most sheep the flood last month.
A. endured B. survived C. lived D. passed
34. My parents always let me have my own of living.
A. way B. method C. manner D. fashion
35. Like other language skills, reading requires practice.
A. the most of B. much of the C. most of the D. more of the
36. It is only through practice one will be able to swim skillfully.
A. what B. who C. that D. which
37. The brain is capable of ignoring pain message of to concentrate on other
A. it allowed B. is it allowed C. allowed D. allowed it
38. Don’t worry, I have already them the decision.
A. informed; with B. informed; of C. informed; for D. informed; that
39. The child was sorry his mother when he arrived at the station.
A. to miss B. having missed C. missing D. to have missed
40. I wonder why he to discuss the problem at the meeting.
A. declined B. rejected C. refused D. delayed
41. You can hang up what you like on these walls.
A. bare B. empty C. blank D. vacant
42. According to a , the majority would rather have newspapers without a
government than a government without newspapers.
A. election B. campaign C. poll D. vote
43. The population of the village has decreased 150 to 500.
A. in B. at C. by D. with
44. It seems that there is that I can’t do.
A. nothing B. anything C. everything D. none
45. They are often caring more about animals than human beings.
A. accused if B. accused with C. charged of D. charged for
46. a good beginning is made, the word is half done.
A. As soon as B. While C. As D. Once
47. George could not his foolish mistake.
A. account in B. count on C. count for D. account for
48. We came into this field late, so we must work hard to the lost time.
A. make up for B. make out C. keep up with D. put up with
49. The new law will came into on the day it is passed.
A. effect B. use C. service D. existence
50. We can separate the mixture into the pure chemical compounds it is
A. in which B. of what C. of which D. from which
51. Mrs. Lincoln has that she is unable to get a job.
A. such small education B. so little education
C. a such little education D. a so small education
52. She can’t prevent her little boy shooting birds.
A. from; to B. on; at C. with; up D. from; at
53. Many countries are increasing their use of natural gas, wind and other
forms of .
A. energy B. source C. power D. material
54. A darkened sky in the daytime is usually and indication that a storm is
A. possible coming B. about to take place
C. close by D. expected to be severe
55. We all know that speak louder than words.
A. movements B. performance C. operations D. actions
56. , he could not cover the whole distance in fifteen minutes.
A. Fast as he can B. As he can ran fast
C. If he can ran fast D. Since he ran fast
57. Agricultural production in that country has increased in recent
A. vastly B. strikingly C. considerably D. extremely
58. Peter has planned to some money every month so that he can buy a used car
A. set aside B. set up C. set in D. set along
59. Although I spoke to him many times, he never took any of what I said.
A. attention B. notice C. warning D. observation
60. They overcame all the difficulties and fulfilled the plan three months
ahead of time, is something we had not expected.
A. that B. what C. it D. which